Monday, April 11, 2016

Where Are You Mr. Bird?

We have a couple of cages for our parakeets, and on occasion I like to open them up and use the doors to build a bridge between the two houses. The birds seem to enjoy that because they have a change of scenery and can step between cages to visit with each other. Their excitement level increases as they jump in the bird bath and sample each other's food. 

Sometimes, one of the parakeets will slip out around the gap between the two cages, climb around the outside, and glide down to the kitchen floor. I have trained them to remain in a small section of the floor under one of our tables, and normally they are very good at staying where they belong. On occasion, however, Mr. Bird, our original bird and the most curious of our nine parakeets, likes to venture a few feet outside that small area. I call him my "little explorer." When I am close by, I just shoo him back into the safe zone under the table. The birds are surprisingly obedient and routined. For the most part, they have learned where they are safest and happiest, and that is staying within the boundaries I have established for them.

Last week in the rush of leaving for work, I neglected to close the cage doors back up. As soon as I walked in the house a few hours later, I felt an "oh no" kind of feeling and prayed that all the birds were either in their cage or their designated spot on the floor. I did a quick count and soon realized that Mr. Bird was not where he belonged.

Knowing he had to be in the house somewhere, I walked around searching for him and called, "Where are you Mr. Bird?" Suddenly I remembered a time when he glided down to the living room then flew down a little further into the foyer. Low and behold, I walked down two sets of stairs and there Mr. Bird was resting below a hall table in the unlit foyer.
Mr. Bird in the foyer (only it was dark)
 
What I knew, but what Mr. Bird did not know, is that his home in the kitchen was only about 20 feet away. But because he had made a couple wrong turns to get down to our foyer and was now standing in the dark, the little parakeet had absolutely no idea how to get home. Mr. Bird was not going to fix this problem without his master's help.

As I approached Mr. Bird, I wrongly assumed he would be thrilled to see me and step right up onto my welcoming hands. He actually freaked a little, flapped his wings and tried to run then fly away from me. Amazing how despite years of caring for him, my little explorer didn't recognize I was actually there for a rescue! I was able to corner him by the front door then gently scoop him up. Cupping my hands over Mr. Bird protectively, I spoke sweetly to him and carried him back home to safety.

There was a time in my life not too many years ago when I was just like Mr. Bird. I got curious and left the safety of God's protective presence. I walked outside the bounds of holiness an inch, thinking I was better than the boundaries. And before I knew it, I had run many feet away and found myself in a very dark and lonely place. Have you ever felt deep in a dark hole? If so, you know it is difficult to remove yourself.

The good news is, our master, the Lord of the universe, cares so much for us. He seeks us out, like I sought out Mr. Bird when I knew he wouldn't be able to find his way back home alone. As his master, I wasn't going to give up until I found that little explorer. And God doesn't ever - not ever - give up on us either. Be assured that He will search for you - even if you're in a bad place or flapping around in protest, thinking you can find your own way out. His love for you is custom made and very personal. He cares enough to corner you if necessary then cup you up in His hands and carry you where you will be safest.

It may be tempting to explore a little - to venture a few steps outside the safe zone. My advice to you is don't do it. The risks are not worth it. Mr. Bird was fortunate - the only damage done to him was being alone and lost in the dark for awhile. He could have crashed into a window or eaten something he shouldn't have while satisfying his curiosity.

Temptations are everywhere. Stay alert, and be committed to remaining within the bounds of God's safe zones. If you're past that point, have already flown off, and are now standing alone in a spiritually dark place, please know your Master is right there. Picture Him bending down, opening His merciful hands, and inviting you to step up to safety. He will carry you home.


3 comments:

  1. Just finished reading your latest writing.I am touched by your insight and ability.Hope you will have the time someday to write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Laura:

    God gave you the capacity to observe and learn and share from many of life’s experiences.  It is a wonderful gift He gave you for us to enjoy.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete